Wednesday, November 28, 2018

I made these flip-page-type "books" using adorable fabric panels by Quilting Treasures called "Hungry Animal Alphabet". One page appears to have a "design element" or "learning experience", as it was sewn upside-down. Too late to do anything about it. Maybe that's what home-made is all about. There are so many elements to search for that begin with each letter, so it's also kind of an I-Spy experience. These are Christmas gifts for Sonja and Julia.

The most time-consuming part was doing the machine embroidery. I had a couple of failed attempts, and the fabric I used for the applique letters wanted to fray pretty badly, so I ended up putting a little fray-check around each capital letter. I used the Cute Critters Animal Alphabet from Designs by JuJu but wanted the two capital As to be different, so I used an A from Bunnycup Embroidery. Also, rather than use the fish on the F, I used a flamingo from Embroidery Library.

The pages are lightly quilted using a serpentine-type stitch on my sewing machine.

Merwin helped put eyelets in the corners of each page and I strung them together on a ribbon. I put glue on the bow knots, so hopefully they won't get untied!






Here's where you can see the difference in flipping the first page. 

The top one is upside-down.





No comments:

Post a Comment