Saturday, May 11, 2019

Quilt for Valentin


QUILT FOR VALENTIN

I hadn't found a pattern or fabric that was very inspiring for a quilt for Valentin. Then at Ben Franklin one day, among their fabulous assortment of sale fabrics, I found the sweet fox fabric in white with a soft blue. Further exploration of the sale fabric revealed the blue dot and the darker blue tree fabrics. Add to that, the (regular price) yellow for the "steps", and I felt I was in business. I had seen some quilt books featuring quilts made from 1 yard of 3 different fabrics, and knew I could make one of those quilts. However, I had picked out 4 fabrics. I decided to go ahead and get 1 yard of each and figure out the rest later. When I got home and did a Google search for the pattern books, I found the site, all right, and the pattern I liked the best was offered for free. It's the "Stepping Up Quilt" from fabriccafe.com. I'm not sure it will always be offered free, as when I downloaded it, there is a price of $5.99 shown on the pattern.

In any event, I ended up dividing one of the blocks into two pieces in order to use the additional fabric I had purchased. I then had enough fabric to use for a narrow flange border, and enough of another fabric for the binding. I used a Minky fabric in blue for the backing, and Warm and Plush batting. The quilting was done on my Pfaff QE 4.2, using a decorative stitch on the yellow, and a random zig-zag on the other blocks (inspired by the book WALK: Master Machine Quilting with your Walking Foot by Jacquie Gering).


Embroidery machine label


Here's Valentin on his quilt with the knit blanket I made him in his little hands. He seemed to like the soft squishiness of the knit blanket.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lana. I was definitely inspired by the fabric; and the pattern was an easy one to show off the print.

      Delete