Saturday, July 7, 2018

So this morning I saw our cat trotting across the lawn with something small in his mouth. I fear it might have been a hummingbird. Yesterday he had a goldfinch. I did some Googling about how to keep a cat from catching birds and found a Birdsafe collar (for $13.48, including shipping). It’s just made of bright colored fabric, so I figure why not make it myself. Did more Google searching for DIY and found this delightful video (the little girl steals the show!)…
https://kidspot.co.nz/activities/make-cat-collar-save-birds/

I managed to make a couple  of these cat collars for Buster this morning. Hope it helps the birds spot this little hunter and escape before he pounces! I looked for the fabric I wanted to use, but couldn't find it, so used different fabric. Then Merwin said we should have two so if one is wet or dirty we can change it. Then the fabric I originally wanted showed up, so now we have two. They were certainly easy and quick to make. Buster seems happy enough wearing it, and he looks kind of cute with his new "scarf".



3 comments:

  1. Hope this works. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not supposed to deter his rodent hunting; and he brought us a rodent of some kind today (Merwin said), but no birds yet. It's too early to tell, yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting concept to alert the birds.

    ReplyDelete